Do You Lose Weight When You Do CoolSculpting?
“Do you lose weight when you do CoolSculpting?” This is a common question that many people have when considering CoolSculpting. To answer it, it’s important to first understand what this fat-freezing procedure actually is and what it does.
What Is CoolSculpting?
CoolSculpting, also called cryolipolysis, is an FDA-approved state-of-the-art treatment designed to remove stubborn fat from specific areas of the body. This procedure uses the power of cooling energy to freeze and destroy fat cells, which are then gradually filtered out of the body through natural processes. This ensures a reduction in unwanted fat in the treated areas.
With this procedure, people can treat fat cells in a number of areas, including their:
• Love Handles
• Chest (for men)
Is CoolSculpting a Weight-Loss Treatment?
Because CoolSculpting gets rid of excess fat and shapes the body, most people assume that it is a weight-loss treatment. However, this is not the case.
A weight-loss treatment is one which:
• Targets fat cells in the entire body and not just one specific treatment site
• Focuses on encouraging fat cells to shrink and on ensuring that they do not swell again
• Uses a holistic approach involving diet, exercise, medication, and other methods to provide long-lasting results
In some cases, surgical weight-loss treatments can be utilized. One common type of surgical weight-loss treatment, bariatric surgery, is a massive-weight-loss procedure used to suppress appetite.
CoolSculpting is instead considered a fat-reduction and body-contouring procedure. This makes it a very different type of treatment:
• Instead of targeting fat cells in the entire body, CoolSculpting is a spot-treatment method, focusing on fat cells in specific areas. Patients lose 20% to 25% of the fat cells in the treated area.
• Instead of shrinking fat cells, CoolSculpting eliminates them from the body entirely. Fat cells that have reduced in size can swell again, whereas eliminated fat cells cannot.
• A holistic approach is not necessary with CoolSculpting. However, it can be used as a motivator to encourage a regular diet and exercise regimen.
• It is completely non-invasive and non-surgical.
• It does not affect the appetite.
Thus, if you want to shed a few pounds or if you have been advised to lose weight by your doctor, CoolSculpting is not the treatment for you. Instead, specialists recommend that you lose weight through other means.
It’s best to consult with your physician to select a weight-loss procedure that works for you. Depending on your unique health and requirements, your doctor may recommend one or more of the following weight-loss treatments:
• Fat-burning injections
• Bariatric surgery
CoolSculpting After Weight Loss
CoolSculpting is recommended for patients who are at or near their ideal body weight. Thus, it is often undergone after weight loss.
In many cases, once a patient has gone through their weight-loss journey, areas of the body still have stubborn fat and are difficult to tone. CoolSculpting treatments are an ideal way to contour away these fatty deposits, resulting in a sculpted appearance.
Contact Our Office
If you want to learn more about CoolSculpting or schedule a treatment at Freezeology, contact us today. Dr. Anitha Reddy will be happy to answer your questions regarding CoolSculpting, weight loss, and more.